Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Atlanta Criminal Defense Lawyers > Alpharetta DUI Lawyer

Alpharetta DUI Lawyer

Driving under the influence is a serious crime in Georgia. DUI offenders can lose their license, spend time in jail, or be required to outfit their vehicles with ignition interlock devices. In addition to criminal charges, the social consequences of being a convicted drunk driver are great—you could lose your job, relationships you deeply care about, and your status within your community. It is up to you to fight the DUI changes set against you and preserve your good name. Here at Hawkins Spizman, an Alpharetta DUI lawyer can make that a reality.

The BAC Limits in Georgia are 0.08

For drivers 21 years old or older, a blood alcohol content (BAC) of .08 percent or more will result in a DUI. A driver’s BAC is typically measured using a breathalyzer test, which is performed on-scene by the responding law enforcement officer. A blood test can also be performed if the driver is taken to the hospital. Breathalyzer devices are accurate if used correctly, though not all tests are performed to protocol. Furthermore, one study found that of the breathalyzer devices used in the study, the sensitivity accuracy rate was just 90 percent for multiple devices, leaving a 10 percent margin of error.

Under Age Drivers

For drivers under 21, the BAC limit is reduced to just 0.02 percent; for example, a 240 pound man would reach a BAC of 0.02 after just one drink, according to the DMV. This means that a 20-year-old who consumed just a single drink could be convicted of driving under the influence.

DUI Penalties

  • First DUI Offense—minimum 24 hours in jail, and up to 12 months in jail. Fine between $300 and $1,000. License suspension of up to one year.
  • Second DUI Offense Within Ten Years—Minimum three days in jail, and up to one year in jail. Fine between $600 and $1,000. License suspension of up to three years. Mandatory installation of an ignition interlock system in the offender’s vehicle.
  • Third DUI Offense Within Ten Years—Minimum 15 days in jail, and up to one year in jail. Fine between $1,000 and $5,000. Five year license revocation.
  • Fourth DUI Offense Within Ten Years—Felony. 12 months minimum prison time, and up to five years in prison.

Very High BAC Levels Result in Greater Penalties

Studies have shown that even a BAC of 0.05 impairs a driver’s ability to an unsafe level, reducing reaction time, impairing decision making, reducing vision, and heightening risk taking. But what if the driver’s BAC is double that? Or triple? In Georgia, a BAC of 0.15 percent or higher triggers an enhanced DUI, increasing jail time and license suspension even if it is the driver’s first DUI offense.

Call an Alpharetta DUI Lawyer Today

Drunk and buzzed driving are serious crimes. We can help you reduce the penalties you are up against, or have the case thrown out. Contact an Alpharetta DUI lawyer at Hawkins Spizman today at 770-685-6400 to schedule a free consultation.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn