Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Atlanta Criminal Defense Lawyers > Blog > Criminal Defense > Can I Get Off Probation Early?

Can I Get Off Probation Early?

If you are convicted of a crime, one of the best things you can hope for, aside from being given no time at all, is to be sentenced to probation. Essentially, probation is a prison (or jail) sentence that you serve within the community. In other words, you get to stay home. Once you learn about all the conditions that surround your being placed on probation, the punishment can seem restrictive, to say the least. Keep in mind, however, that you are far less restricted than you would be if you were sentenced to time behind bars.

Typically, a person will be sentenced to probation for a specific amount of time. For example, you may be convicted of a crime and sentenced to a period of probation of 2 years. During those two years, you must abide by any conditions of your probation. These may include checking in with a probation officer, sticking to a curfew, maintaining employment, completing community service and staying free of drugs and alcohol.

For most people, probation may be a hassle and nothing more. For others, it can be restrictive to the points that it limits the ability of a probationer to lead a productive life. That inability can be detrimental to the person on probation. In some cases, probation can interfere with work opportunities, maintaining housing or even participating in military service. When these cases occur, the possibility of early termination of probation exists.

Eligibility for Early Probation Termination

A probationer is not eligible for early termination of probation until they are placed on unsupervised status. To be placed on this status, the person must have completed or satisfied certain conditions. These may include a specific number of hours of community service along with other conditions. If a probationer has been placed on unsupervised status, has met all conditions of their probation and has had no further violations of the laws of the state, they may petition for early termination.

It is always recommended that a person on probation first speak with their probation officer before seeking early termination. The probation officer needs to be in agreement with the early termination because their opinion will weigh heavily with a judge. Once the officer agrees, the probationer should then seek the assistance of their attorney. Once a hearing is held and the judge agrees to the early termination, the probationer is considered to be free and the case complete.

If you have been arrested for a crime in DeKalb County, you need an experienced attorney fighting by your side to defend your rights. Reach out to our office today to schedule a case evaluation. We have experience defending clients charged with a variety of offenses and we will help you determine what your next appropriate steps are. Don’t fight this alone. We will use our knowledge of the local criminal justice system to achieve the best outcome possible in your unique situation.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn