Slips And Falls In The Workplace
Slips, trips, and falls can happen virtually anywhere, from the home to grocery stores to restaurants to parking lots to the workplace. Slipping and falling on a surface is no laughing matter. A person can suffer serious injuries or death if they land on their head or back. They could suffer a sprain, break a bone, suffer head trauma, or experience other injuries.
Slips and falls can happen in the workplace due to wet conditions, weather hazards, clutter, and protruding objects. When it comes to slips, trips, and falls, there are three physical factors involved: friction, momentum, and gravity. Friction is the resistance between objects and momentum is affected by the mass and speed of an object, while gravity refers to the force exerted on an object.
Slips are a loss of balance that occurs when there is not enough friction between your feet and the surface you walk on. Trips occur when your foot hits an object with such impact that you are thrown off balance. Falls occur when you move away from your center of balance.
Slip and Fall Prevention
Slips and falls are common occurrences in the workplace, but they don’t have to be. Employers should take the proper steps to teach workers about safety issues and how to deal with possible slips, trips, and falls. Here are some things you can do to prevent them:
- Walk safely. Take small steps and don’t be in a hurry.
- Be extra cautious when walking on newly waxed floors and carpeting.
- Watch where you are going. Make sure you can see what is in front of you.
- Clean up spills, puddles, and grease promptly.
- Keep walkways and stairs clear. Get rid of cords, wires, clutter, and other tripping hazards.
- Keep working areas clean. Place extra items in storage. Do not leave them to accumulate on the floor.
- Keep floor mats flat rather than bunched up.
- Repair flooring and stairs that are worn out or broken.
- Use handrails when going up and down steps.
- Be careful on ladders. Make sure they are fully extended and avoid going over the load limit.
- Visibility is important. Keep work areas well-lit, especially at night.
- Wear appropriate shoes with non-skid soles.
- Clear ice and snow from outdoor areas to prevent it being tracked into the office building.
Speak to a Georgia Personal Injury Lawyer Today
Slips and falls can happen anywhere and cause significant injuries. Hundreds of people are killed by them every year. The workplace is especially prone to these accidents.
Have you been affected? If so, contact the Alpharetta personal injury lawyers at Hawkins Spizman Trial Lawyers. We know what your slip and fall claim is worth and will help you get the full value for your claim. Schedule a free consultation by calling 770-685-6400 or filling out the online form. We represent individuals in Georgia, including Atlanta, Dunwoody, Alpharetta, Cobb County, Fulton County, Gwinnett County, Johns Creek, and Sandy Springs.